Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Lottery

I would name the story "The Unlucky Lottery" because the winner of lottery did not want to win. Since Mrs. Hutchison got the black dot she didn't win anything but she loss, and the rest of the town's people won.

I felt that "winning" the lottery was not a good thing for a few reasons. One reason was because when the two kids didn't win they were happy and smiling, another was that when Mrs. Hutchinson got the black dot she was reluctant to show it, and finally Mrs. Hutchinson was screaming that it wasn't fair so I figured that it was something horrible happening to her.

When I didn't receive the end of the story I was held in suspense about what was going to happen so I asked questions about what's happening. I felt nervous at first because I wasn't sure what it was and also because I had the black dot which I thought at the time was something bad. I thought that it was the end of the story and maybe some explanation about it as well. I followed the instructions written on the paper because not having the ending left me in suspense during the day and I began creating the ending in my head so I waited to see if I was right. I waited because even though I didn't enjoy the feeling of suspense to much I waited until 5:00 p.m. I even almost opened it.

The black box confused be at the beggening of the day when we first came in because I didn't know what we were going to use it for and once we we read the story i knew it was for the lottery. I was happy once I drew a card with no black spot. Since Mrs. Hutchinson didn't react well to the black spot i could tell it was a bad thing.

I was really shocked at what I read because I didn't think that the stones had any significance and that the death was so brutal for Mrs. Hutchinson. I felt shocked and a very sorry for Mrs. Hutchinson because she did nothing wrong but only drew the wrong slip of paper and she had to die for it.

My predictions were no where near correct because I predicted that Mrs. Hutchinson would have to do something for the town, like harvesting corn or maybe even get banished, but nothing like being killed. I felt very confused and when I read the end of the story because it was no where near what I thought it would be. I was held asking questions about the story and about what was happening at the time, even why would the author write a story like this.

I think if the part where the town people pick up the stones wasn't in the ending I would have made a better guess about what would happen in the end. If I read that they picked up the stones before the void I would have thought that something horrible would happen to Mrs. Hutchinson.

The author left these voids in the story to create tension in the audience so that they would be asking questions about what happens and finish reading the book. She also created these voids so that the audience will ask questions and be in suspense and then they will want answers so they keep reading.

Since I didn't get any title or author information I could make no connections to what might happen and since I had no ending I asked questions about what the ending would be and what happens. The text clues gave me ideas about what would happen but there was no way to know for sure so I was questioning what would end up happening in the end and the mystery paper made me think about what was inside and once I guessed that it was the ending I asked myself again what's the ending going to be? The delayed ending created a lot of suspense in me because I couldn't stop thinking about what would happen and why that Mrs. Hutchinson reacted as she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment